Sep 3, 2009

Julie Caves

1.Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2009 E17 Art Trail?
I will be one of the artists opening their studios at Blackhorse Lane Studios. I will have three walls with a progression of my paintings over the last five years and one wall crammed with lots of smaller paintings. I also make artists’ books and will have a table of those.

2. Could you have done this work anywhere, or is it specific to E17? Did you respond to this year¹s Art Trail theme 'At Home¹?
This is work arising from my painting and book arts practice. I have had studios in Stoke Newington, Barnet, and now Walthamstow.

Walthamstow is my new home, both where I live and where I make my art. But the work is not specific to the theme.

3. Have you participated in the E17 Art Trail before?
It’s my first time! I am really looking forward to it.

4. How does your work this year relate to your previous artistic practice?
I make big paintings about colour and little books about everything else.

I paint because I am fascinated by colour. I layer transparent colour, look at how colours affect one another, and try to capture light inside the paint. Because the subject of the work is colour I have been called a “colourist”. The finished paintings become a record and trace of my practice. They have been described as “very painterly” and I think this means that the viewer can feel the process of painting as if they had made the marks themselves.

When I need to use sequence or groups or concept, I make a book. An artists’ book is art that simply chooses to use the format of a book. Mine usually use drawing or photography, and text. I make books that offer a moment of cheerful confusion, books that celebrate the beauty of the so-called ordinary, books made of groupings and lists, cataloguing the things and places we think we know, books that offer a new look at things you see every day. I am trying my best to make contact with humanity. Serendipity Press is the imprint name I use to distinguish my books from my other artistic work.

5. What challenges (if any) do you face in realising this work?
My painting this last year has been a bit different. I usually make many small paintings to explore and idea and as studies that lead to a large work that is the final piece. But this year I made a series of small paintings that were the finished work. It was challenging to make such small work. I found I had to make my space smaller. I found that to be able to keep my movements small and focus so close up I had to sit on the floor with the soles of my feet together and paint in my lap and on the floor. Because I was in shorts this meant my legs were covered in paint everyday!

6. Who is this work for?
I never know who will want to spend time looking at one of my paintings. Some people walk past. But some people become absorbed, then they go in for a closer look at a part of it and then step back and keep looking. It is nice to watch. When looking at my books, I think people spend longer than they intended when they first picked one up. They usually keep picking up another until they have looked at almost all of them. An artists’ book is special because it is art you can hold and look at all by yourself. Although many times people call their friend over cos they want them to look at something they like.

7. As well as being an artist what else do you do?
In addition to my art practice I do PR, web admin and book buying for an art supply company. Sometimes I teach.

8. What is your favourite place in E17?
Since I now have a garden for the first time in years I have to say my little outdoor space is my favourite place. When I get over the wonder of it then perhaps it will be my gorgeous tree-lined street that I love best! I adore Orford Saloon Tapas Bar. Wakefield’s is great for hardware. A few train stops to Epping Forest. Nearly everything is within a 10-minute walk, it seems. Everyone is so friendly. And the sorting office has great opening hours. What more could anyone want!

Julie Caves: http://www.juliecaves.moonfruit.com/
Barbican Arts Group Trust: http://www.artworksproject.com/

1 comment:

Julie Caves said...

I am sorry it was late Valerie. I thought I got it in before the deadline stated on the email.

Good work on the blog! It is great!

Take care,
Julie Caves