Aug 24, 2010

Cris Thompson

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail?

As one of the organisers of the trail, I forget each year how much work there is for us to do - lots. So exactly why I am preparing for 4 listings this year is still a mystery to me. (two down, two to go)

I have two main pieces with my own work; a painting and a website.


I'm having a painting, err, painted in China. As a web designer, I keep getting offers of design services from China, but when one came to the trail offering oil painting, it knew it was time to try my hand at painting. It's a Gainsborough inspired piece about influence and ownership using my self portrait marionette in Aveling Park. In the background are the studios we are getting kicked out of.


As a web designer, I have been obsessed for ages with the idea of 3D websites - desperately hoping that a client would request me to do one. Everyone I mention it to thinks I'm mad, so I thought I would get it out of my system by turning my business website into a temporary gallery of my artwork, with a 3D menu. You will be able to download a 3D glasses template from the site, or pick up a pair at the trail information hub in the town square.

2.How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
This is the third time I have exhibited on the trail.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
Mostly, it just pops into my head. I remember while I was at university I needed to prepare careful context and reasons for everything I made; 'I want to see what it looks like' was never a good enough reason. But that's about it, something pops into my head, fully formed, and then I have a burning desire to make it. Because of time, most of the time I resist the urge.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
Not enough time, too many websites to build, and international shipping!

5. Who are your favourite artists?
Locally it has to by Martin Adams and Anna Alcock.
They are both involved with loads of projects, and still manage to make lots of their own work.
Outside E17, my new favourite artist is Makoto Tojiki.

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
I love the amazing community of artists and arts interested folk. Oh, and another, errr... The Rose and Crown.

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
Better support for artists, and a 3 story Primark.

No comments: