Aug 24, 2010

Katja Rosenberg

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2010 E17 Art Trail.

I often have nights when I lie awake until 2am, suddenly coming up with something for things like the Art Trail for example. The trouble is that I still fancy putting the ideas into practice the next morning and beyond, because the next night I get more ideas, and the night after that etc., and it gets a bit much. Anyway, I will be celebrating clouds on my roof with a few artists aged between 4 and 40 (ish..?) years (Clouds at the Weekend), I will celebrate having replaced my e-piano with a proper upright this year with two piano nights in my lounge (Together in Perfect Harmony), and also, my friend Kitty and I came up with lots of spoonerisms one day, and for some reason we decided we should project them out of my window during the Art Trail (Dafter Ark) - don't ask. Some people have too much time on their hands, and I openly own up to possibly being one of them.

I am also one of the persistent little Arts Club crowd celebrating the Art Grows on Trees tradition. And then there are the "Visitors".

2. How many times have you taken part in the Trail?
Since 2006 or so? I think so.

3. What kind of things inspire you to create art?
I like asking lots of artists to make something in response to a subject matter I give them, and it has been chrystallising out over the years that my favourite subjects have to do with identity, the subconscious, being a "product" as it were of the culture that you were born into and how different cultures correspond with each other. Therefore, I have got myself into organising group exhibitions over the years. I am also a printmaker by trade but I haven't been in the studio much lately because of organising my group projects.

4. What challenges (if any) do you face in preparing yourself and your work for the Trail?
Not many to be honest. I use the Art Trail as a nice opportunity to do light hearted projects with friends, and to experiment.

5. Who are your favourite artists?
I am a big fan of the prints by my fellow artist-printmaker Katie Jones because they are so gentle and confident and somehow remind me how I want to feel about the world. The Library of Unwritten Books by Caroline Jupp is one of my all time favourite projects in terms of getting other people involved, asking passers-by to tell you what they would write if they were to write a book, and then turning the interviews into little mini books for everyone to read. I like how she values that everyone has a lot to say for themselves and puts it in a golden frame, and that there is not much differentiation between "artists" and "non-artists".

6. Please tell us two things you really like about Walthamstow?
1) It's not hip. Taxi drivers often don't know how to get to St James from Central London and I nearly feel like I am showing off when I explain the route.

2) My home.

7. Please tell us one thing you wish Walthamstow had?
I know exactly what the answer is to that. A nice breakfast cafe near my house which is not a greasy spoon (I like them but not always) and where today's paper lies around and you get a really nice cafe latte and there is nice music in the background. Just imagine...

WEBSITE

1 comment:

Unknown said...

:) my Mr Thinky. I miss U Magic