Jul 31, 2011

The duck that got stuck, Yanire Sylva Delgado

This is illustrator and engraver Yanire Sylva Delgado’s first E17 Art Trail. Delgado will be reading from her new foldable children’s book, “The duck that got stuck”, which is written in rhyme. There are two versions of the book, one in English and one in Spanish.


1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2011 E17 Art Trail? Did you respond to this year’s theme “On Your Marks”? What impact do you think the Olympics will have on E17?
I am publishing a children’s book called “The duck that got stuck”. We live in Walthamstow next to Lloyds Park and spend a lot of time there with my seven year old son. Last summer we stopped next to the pond and it was a note on the fence saying “wet paint” and my son wanted to know what it said. The ducks were curious too and came closer. This gave me the idea for the story, which I told my son and he loved.


I have a degree in Fine Arts with specialization in Engraving from the University Complutense, Madrid and this year, after a local Illustration course, I decided to use my story about the duck in a foldable book. I will start an MA in Art, Design and the Book in September and this is my first book so let’s say that I’m “on my marks” of a new development in my career.


2. What challenges (if any) did you face in realising this work?
It has been very difficult to find a publishing company that I can afford. I have been trawling the internet for months. My book is a small publication and not in ordinary format, as it is foldable. Anything that is a bit out of ordinary is a double challenge that not many companies are willing to accept. I have had to go abroad to find an affordable company that can take the challenge, so my book is printed in Ecuador.


3. What do you like about E17 and why? Is there anything you would change about the area?
I like the sense of community. Recognising people in the street is lovely and something I haven’t experienced anywhere else in London.
As an artist I feel really engaged in the area. There are so many creative activities and movements in Walthamstow, which makes me feel this is the right place for me and my family to be.


I think the market can be improved. It’s famously “one of the largest in London” but has too many stalls with the same products. I think a good market needs diversity and quality.



4. Who and/or what inspires you?
The creativity in Walthamstow, people encourage me to share my ideas.


5. What advice would you give to aspiring artists?
Get your idea out, no matter how small you think it is, set a deadline for it and get involved, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE.


See “The duck that got stuck” on 1 September at Walthamstow Central Library. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quack quack I want to read this little book!

César Urrea said...

Yaniré: permíteme decirte lo orgulloso que me siento por tus logros.Publicar un libro es ya una odisea y más aún en un medio tan competitivo como en el que te encuentras.¡Qué bueno que orientes tus trabajos para la formación en valores de nuestros niños,el mundo entero necesita rescatarlos¡Te felicito y te incentivo a seguir con más ahinco en tu trabajo.Un beso.

Anonymous said...

(Approximate) Translation of César Urrea's comment: Let me tell you how proud I am. Publishing a book is difficult enough and even more so in an environment as competitive as where you are. I'm glad to guide your work on values and the ​​education of our children. I congratulate you for all your hard work and drive.