Jul 27, 2011

Sandie M Sutton

Eagle, Sandie M Sutton

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2011 E17 Art Trail. Did you respond to this year’s theme “On Your Marks”? What impact do you think the Olympics will have on E17?

The work I'm showing this year is part of my Art For Wildlife series. I've made a number of sculptures using reclaimed materials, picked up locally, creating art pieces that local wildlife can interact with and that benefit the environment. I have enjoyed seeing how the building for 2012 is being developed sensitively taking into account the local surroundings and enhancing them. 

2. What challenges (if any) did you face in realising this work?
The challenges I face in realising my work are practical. Time and knowing when a work is complete are always a challenge.
 
3. What do you like about E17 and why? Is there anything you would change about the area?
 
What I like about E17 is the contrast between multi-cultural, edgy city living,and Lea Valley's open space, only a stroll away. I enjoy exploring the area on my bike. 
 
4. Who and/or what inspires you?
 
I am inspired by my surroundings, natural history. Frustration can also be inspiring. I admire the work of Grayson Perry and really enjoy mixing with the local artistic community.
 
5. What advice would you give to aspiring artists? 

Spend time with other artists, use London's wealth of galleries and get out to see shows. Open your eyes and work hard.  

Sandie's work will be exhibited at Blackhorse Lane Open Studios, Friday 9 - Sunday 11 September. You can see more of her work here

No comments: