Aug 20, 2011

Stevey Scullion

11/11/11, Sketch, Stevey Scullion
 1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2011 E17 Art Trail. Did you respond to this year’s theme “On Your Marks”? What impact do you think the Olympics will have on E17?
It was stimulated by the visual poetry of 11/11/11, for me, it was reminiscent of three sets of railway tracks, so I began working on how best to tell three separate stories. The more I got involved in writing the stories the more they began to inform the Sculpture, then after its just about containing the ideas.                    
I had already began work on 11/11/11 by the time the theme was announced so, no, I haven't responded to it.      
As regards 'impact' I am reminded of the phenomenon of when a VIP came to launch a boat in the shipyards - everything in the visual pathway from the Front Gate to the Ship was given a rich coat of paint to help hold the rust together. However, it does put fitness on the agenda.

2. What challenges (if any) did you face in realising this work?
Often for me its the logistics of the piece and the time to make it are the challenge. Finding a site was also a challenge. I wasted a lot of time with Network Rail as I wanted to show this piece on their property. I thought it would complement my work and exploit new areas for the Trail. However, Network Rail wanted £1000 for the two days to watch me put up and take down.

3. What do you like about E17 and why? Is there anything you would change about the area?
I like its diversity, its political bias, and its beautiful people. Having said that however, I would change the hearts and minds of the supporters of the UKCG who would wish to destroy our cinema. And when I need a break from all that change there is always the constant of the Hirondelle cafe to fall back on.

4. Who and/or what inspires you? 
Mistakes, criticism, the journey, being able to laugh about it, and the gift of a smile.

5. What advice would you give to aspiring artists?
Question everything, and don't waste your time trying to be somebody - be more specific.*
*Adaptation of a quote by author Jane Wagner.

11/11/11, Sculpture by Steve Scullion will be on at Vestry House Museum, Vestry Road, Friday 2 - Sunday 4 and Wednesday 7 - Sunday 11 September. To find out more, see Stevey's website.

No comments: