Aug 5, 2012

Sculptural winners...

Great to see this in such early stages. Will really look forward to seeing Stevey Scullion's finished work in the Trail.  

1. Please tell us about the work you will be showing in the 2012 E17 Art Trail?
The show is titled Who Chooseth Me and I am No.130 on the Trail. I am working on a series of 5 sculptures made specifically for this Art Trail. Using these Olympic Games as a topic, the works aim to reflect on choices we make or are made on our behalf.

2. Is this your first time in the Trail or are you an E17 Art Trail veteran?
This will be the fourth Trail I have enjoyed participating in.

3. What are the challenges of getting everything ready for your Art Trail event?
A few weeks ago I managed to slip the disc between my 3rd and 4th vertebrae, resulting in trapped nerves, pain, and a distinct lack of mobility. It’s been a major setback to say the least. Nevertheless, I am still hoping to complete the five works of sculpture I plan to show and with luck - on time.  At the moment I am working the ‘form’ from which a mould will be made. From the mould I intend to produce 5 rings in gold, silver, bronze, lead and clay. 


4. Do you remember the first artist that really influenced you? Does that artist’s influence still have an impact on your work?
John Fowler and Benjamin Baker. They were actually more commonly thought of as Engineers, but I like to think of their work as art. They designed the Forth Rail Bridge. As a child I remember travelling across it by train on our holidays to the east coast, and ever since I have been trying to find an apt way to describe the experience. I believe the bridge, perhaps more so than the engineers, still has a profound influence on my work.




5. The E17 Art trail has become bigger every year. Do you think it is because more artists are calling it home?
I think the open submission policy certainly helps. I also think that more and more of our resident artist community are increasingly drawn in by the development and credibility of the E17 Art Trail.

6. What has E17 bestowed on you?

A home, a community, a place where I am happy to bring up my children, and some wonderful experiences.




www.steveyscullion.com

No comments: