May 29, 2014

Experimental Ceramic Art by Amanda Doidge

Could you tell us about the work you will be showing during this year's E17 Art Trail?
My work this year draws on inspiration from my grandfather’s WWII memoirs, butterfly collecting and Swiss psychologist Herman Rorschach. The pieces on display form two distinct groups with linking themes. The pieces are made from porcelain and stoneware and have been made to look like crumpled paper. Text has been added using silkscreen and clay slip. Other elements have been created from moulds I have made.

How have you been preparing for this year's trail? 
I got my partner to look after our baby while I cleaned out and repainted my studio, rewrote my web page and emailed invites. I still have to print posters and buy food for all the weary art trailers that come to see us and need a rest!

What are you most looking forward to during the E17 Art Trail this year?
Every year I have very interesting discussions with people about art and some of the most interesting responses have been from children who seem really receptive and open-minded. It always surprises me what other people see in the things I have made. One small boy about 8 years old thought that by making an art work about the Greek philosopher Socrates I had brought him back to life! We then had a very involved discussion about why people thought Socrates was wise and what it means to be a wise person. 

Listing no.96 in the guide: Click here for more information

No comments: