May 29, 2014

Jennifer Low at St James Workshop

Could you tell us about the work you will be showing during this year's E17 Art Trail?
I'll be showing a small selection of my work.  A small table and mirror (where I have experimented with the orientation of grain) and some off-cut inspired items.  I also hope to be doing a little hand carving during the Art Trail, I've stuck to lettering in the past and want to attempt something more organic, anybody with advice welcome.

How have you been preparing for this year's trail? 
I have been hanging on to my off-cuts and trying to come up with interesting things to do with them.  I'll be putting off-cuts on show and inviting visitors to give me their thoughts on what I could make.  The most interesting or simple ideas I will attempt to create.

Could you tell us about an an artist/ artwork that  particularly inspires you? 
I work in an shared space with incredibly talented designers and makers, it's wonderful to see things progress and be exposed to new ideas. I also get inspired by designers of past eras. Victor Horta, Hector Guimard, Mackintosh, Raymond Loewy, Charles Voysey... The art nouveau, streamline and arts & crafts movements are the ones that get me excited.

How does inhabiting a community like Walthamstow help your practice?  
We're located on the Brunner Road estate and all the other businesses are really welcoming and helpful. We are also close to the market and shops which have a great vibe.
What are you most looking forward to during the E17 Art Trail this year ? 
So much, I've already got my guide marked up and there are a couple of blog entries that caught my eye.  Mostly I'm looking forward to seeing more of E17, meeting lots of interesting people, sharing experiences and finding new inspiration.

Listing no.75 in the guide: Click here for more information











No comments: