May 21, 2014

Saskia Huning - Painter

I am opening my house for the art trail and showing wall paintings that I have created over the last two years. 

These include my own abstract and repeating designs and a recreation of a 1953 mural, 'Winter' which was originally painted by Fred Millet at St Crispin's school in Wokingham as part of a set of three, painted when the school was built. I use the walls of my house as a canvas for sampling for projects I might be working on and for developing my own work. At the last Art trail two years ago I had completed one wall in the sitting room. Now my wall paintings extend all the way up the stairs and the sitting room is becoming more colourful.


This last weekend I completed another painting in the front room and next weekend I plan to make a start on a cast and carved plaster fireplace surround that is in the design stage. There should be much work in progress to view at the Art Trail.


Could you tell us about an an artist that  particularly inspires you?

My favorite artist of the moment is Eric Ravilious.

How does inhabiting a community like Walthamstow help your practice?  
I have lived in Walthamstow for over 20 years now and exhibited in the art trail for the last five years. I find it really inspiring that there are so many people who make one welcome over the Art Trail weeks and show their works of art. There are so many people creating really interesting and different things, it's a hive of activity. I have met really interesting and lovely people on each art trail and it makes Walthamstow a very inclusive and interesting place to live.

What are you most looking forward to during the E17 Art Trail this year? 

This year I am looking forward to meeting new people who are interested in creative goings on and also to visiting as many venues and exhibitions as possible. When one is exhibiting sometimes it is difficult to get around to see other peoples work. I will be planning my route for my free Saturdays.

Listing no.143 in the guide: Click here for more information on how to see Saskia's work

No comments: