Jun 4, 2014

Roshni – Light at the Vestry House Museum

Could you tell us about the work you will be showing during this year's E17 Art Trail?
I was at a talk last year on 'Deccan Sultanate Art' by the 'Bagri Foundation’ and was struck by what the then rulers of the south walked under, it was not quite an umbrella but a curved banner-like structure that a footman carried over the king from behind.  This was the light blub moment that I was waiting for and my creative juices started flowing I came up with the idea of making three lights portraying my three alter egos.

How have you been preparing for this year's trail?
This artist’s brain cells have been in a very ‘moody artist' mode this year. The preparation impulse kicked in quite late but once it did, I could not stop. I booked myself a 'Park Horse' package at 'Black Horse Workshops' and this is where the magic began by making my thoughts into reality! I am not a technical drawer and always place my visions in thumb nail sketches

…..but the guys at 'Black Horse Workshops' guided me so that I could carry out my vision.

Once the bases of the lamps were made, I set to work in decorating the fabric using a technique called devoré as well as working on the surface decoration of the lamps.

The lamps are designed to be child friendly (7+) so children can sit under the lamps on scatter cushions and be creative through different means.

How does inhabiting a community like Walthamstow help your practice?
Inhabiting a community like Walthamstow has enabled me to flourish not just as an artist but also a business. #Saaafe init dough Bruv/Bruvette (Sorry Missy. S always has to say something - cannot stop her).


I hope you enjoy my work as much as I enjoyed making it!



www.facebook.com/pages/Mehraj-Textile-Art/116038005083378

Listing no. 114: Please click here for more information

No comments: